During the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, the concept of “Fan Fest” was replaced by the “Fan Festival” concept.
FIFA’s plan was to reintroduce the Fan Fest as a more diverse and inclusive entertainment offering encompassing a wide variety of cultures, art, music, food and football outside the stadiums. The concept will also be rolled out during the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand in 2023.
On December 4, the FIFA Fan Festival celebrated the 1 millionth visitor milestone across all of the Fan Festivals this year.
For this years World Cup, FIFA approved Fan Festival sites
- BudX Fan Festivals in London, Seoul and Dubai
- Corona Fan Festival in Mexico City, Mexico
- Brahma Fan Festivals in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro
- Coca-Cola Fan Festival in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Doha, Qatar, a non sponsored festival
Some of the Fan Festival activations:
- Interactive physical and digital football game stations
- Sponsored activations
- Appearances from FIFA Legends
- Official stores with licensed World Cup merchandise.
- Content within the FIFA+ streaming platform.
- A hat and cup from Budweiser for fans who attended the event in London, and an opportunity to win an England shirt signed by a football legend.
- In London, Budweiser gave fans the opportunity to win an England signed shirt by a football legend.
- An adidas-sponsored fan activation in Mexico where attendees played Teqball, a football-based sport played on a specially curved table within a designated area.
- adidas also gave away little footballs before, during, and after games. After all games ended, the event host would throw 5 adidas balls into the crowd.
- Coca-Cola branding across all of the table football (foosball tables) at the event in Mexico City.
Thanks to a new licensing model FIFA introduced in 2022, existing and future FIFA partners can launch local Fan Festivals in major cities outside the host countries to make the tournament experience more accessible for the global fan community.
- SponsorUnited was in attendance at the festivals in London, Mexico City, Dubai and will be going to Doha on December 17th.